Thursday, April 10, 2014

It's the Basics

Not every week is filled with exciting adventures.  Sometimes it's good to focus on the little things, the basics.  That's what I did this week.  Here is the Basics Edition of Willow's Week in Friday Fave Fives with Susanne at Living to Tell the Story.

1.  I am thankful for sunshine.  I know the the scientists among us will point out that without the sun, we will all die.  In like five minutes.  No sunshine = no heat.  No sunshine = no light. No life.  We should all be thankful for sunshine.  Specifically, I am thankful for the additional light we are getting as we have passed the spring equinox.  Yay, sunshine!


2.  I am thankful for green plants.  There's that whole photosynthesis thing that happens with sunshine (see #1)  and then the result is green plants.  Green plants mean food.  Food means nourishment.  Nourishment means health.  In Southern California, green plants also mean we just had some rain and the wild plants are growing again on the hillsides so the soil won't erode away and cause landslides, the deer finally have something to eat besides my rose bushes, and it's much prettier to look up at the Santa Monica Mountains and see green, not black ashes and brown dirt.




3.  I am thankful for clean water.  Many people in the world don't have clean water.  I remember having to boil every bit of water we consumed when we were living in the Papuan jungle.  Don't take clean water for granted.  It's a luxury.

4.  I am thankful for my automatic washing machine.  Last week as I was driving around town, I noticed that the car in the traffic lane next to me was filled with stuff.  Upon closer inspection, I realized it was piles of laundry.  It was evident the driver was either going to the laundromat or to Mom's to do laundry.  Have you ever lived without laundry facilities in your house?  Wasn't that FUN?  I've done our laundry in a river.  By hand.  That's not much fun either.  I may have actually kissed my washing machine.  Certainly, I regularly give its white metal top a little pat and tell it, "Thanks!"

5.  I am thankful for books.  On facebook, I noticed a comment posted by a friend telling that when people asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she replied, "Your favorite book."  She received a wonderful variety of books as gifts.  That caused me to ponder -- what is my favorite book?  How can I choose only one??  I love British authors.  Elizabeth Goudge, Scent of Water. Miss Read. The Year at Thrush Green.  Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night.  I also love children's books.  The Door in the Wall.  The Trumpeter of Krakow.  Just a fraction of my favorite books.  This week I was gifted four Miss Read books. [THANKS, Mary!)  My Easter Break reading!  I *heart* books.

These are simple pleasures.  Just the basics, ma'am.

15 comments:

Susanne said...

What a great idea your friend had in asking for the giver's favorite book! I may just have to use that one!

Love all of your favorites in this week!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes. Those are some of the things that we need to not take for granted. What a good reminder it was. Now the "green" I am almost always aware of to be thankful for, since we have so many months without it. Yesterday the last bit of icy snow disappeared from our front lawn and the grass is greening up. So happy to share the books with someone else who loves them! Mary P

Faith said...

Oh I LOVED the book Scent of Water!!! She is a fave author of mine, too!! And yes.....I've lived without a washing machine....for three years when I was single and in an apt I had to go to the laundromat. NO fun at all....although I did spend the time with a book😄

I love your list of the basics!!! Happy spring, Willow!

Tracy said...

We're saying some big thanks for sunshine here too! We've had some gray, foggy, rainy days of late... Water... Greenery... washing machines & dishwasher--things we sometimes take for granted, but should celebrate daily! :o) Loved this ode to simple pleasures, Willow! And the Miss Read books are lovely! I read them years ago. Too many books I love--too hard to pick one absolute favorite... LOL! Happy Weekend, my friend ((HUGS))

nikkipolani said...

I love the favorite book idea. How fun is that.

You're right to give thanks for the sun even though in our part of the country, it seems like we get more than our share! And clean water! I haven't lived in places where boiling water was required, but having visited several, I do recall coming home and looking gratefully at the water faucet, the shower head, the toilets, the washing machine, even the trash collector!

Jerralea said...

I love Miss Read books, too!

Great idea for giving thanks for our natural resources - true gift to all.

I'm thankful for a washer too. Just let it be broken and you know right away what a blessing it is.

Hazel said...

I love that you mentioned authors and their books. They're new to me; I might want to see if I can find those here. Seriously you have done laundry in a river?! I have seen women doing that but have never done it myself. I will try it if there's a chance but for fun, for the experience. Sunshine and water, yes!

Kathie said...

All of your favourites make me happy! Especially books and sunshine. And clean water - and washing machines and green plants- ok, all of them! And add beaches which I know you love too:)

PS - I've never read Gaudy Night - I must remedy that!

PPS - I'd love if you'd copy that list and post it for us!

Barbara H. said...

I love your basic favorites. :-) I've been grateful for more daylight hours and for the greening up of the landscape the last few weeks.

I've not read any of your favorite books - thanks for the recommendations!

I always disliked having to load everything up to go to a laundromat. A portable washer that hooked up to the sink was our first purchase on a credit card. :-)

ellen b. said...

All things I'm thankful for, too. Simple things (yet not so simple) we take for granted...

snoopydogknits said...

Lovely post! I have to say the simple pleasures always seem to be the ones that bring the greatest happiness. Have a good eek! Ros

Bethany said...

I am definitely thankful for my washing machine. After just being gone for three days for my stepfather's funeral, the mountains of laundry emerged bigger than ever! I am also so thankful for clean water and the beautiful earth. It is definitely awakening right now. I came back to the forsythia and daffodils blooming just in time for Easter! Most especially I'm thankful for my wonderful friends and my family-- I miss my aunts, uncles and cousins so much and we finally reconnected!

Julene said...

Sunshine, sunshine in my heart today! It sure adds to a brighter outlook and intake! :)
So much to notice and be thankful for!

Sharon Lynne said...

What a wonderful reminder to appreciate God' blessings every day--the simple things--that are so essential.

Aqeela said...

This is a really great blog post, food for thought, blessings for us to ponder and thank God for. I love the idea of your friend asking for her friends favourite books, what a brilliant idea!
Aqeela xx